Thursday, February 11, 2010

...I hate the snow...

I have the best car on the planet. I thought it was too weird to give her a human name, so she is called "the two toned baby". When I bought her about 5 years ago, the guy selling her said his wife had hit a deer on the highway. Knowing they were going to sell it anyway, they didn't bother to paint the new hood, they left it how it was. No damage was done to the inside of the car, just the hood. So basically, my car has a green body and a tan hood.

I never bothered to re-paint her at first because I knew it'd be expensive. Now, I have come to love the two toned baby for who she is. She has character, and a sort of "class" all her own. Think about it. If you see me driving down the road, there's no mistaking my car for anyone else's. She's unique. She's a 97 Oldsmobile Cutlass Supreme, and she's definitely a trooper. I've never had any major problems with her. Maybe the brakes one time, but otherwise, nothing. The servive engine light has been on all 5 years that I had her, and nothing ever happened with that. I had one small accident with her about 2 years ago, and the front driver side is dented in parts, but other than needing to get a tire changed, she was still fine. She's a fighter.

Well, day before yesterday I was on my home from work. In Fort Wayne, we have close to a foot of snow on the ground. I was driving slow, and still ended up sliding. I was literally TWO TURNS away from being home. I slid on the snow and at roughly 10-15mph I hit a curb HARD. I felt immediately like something was "off" with it, but my boyfriend said I probably just knocked snow off the tire. It wasn't flat, there were no new dents, and nothing visibly wrong.

Yesterday was my scheduled day off and Will and I did lots of running around, but we took his car, as we usually do. So this morning was my first attempt at driving. At first it seemed okay til I got her onto the main road. Anytime I tried going over 20mph my car would jerk and shake pretty badly, and I had to jerk the wheel just to get it to drive straight. All the jerking probably made me look like a drunk driver. I called work, told them the situation, and drove back home. I wasn't about to try to make the nearly 25 minute drive with it acting that way! But, I made it home, praying the whole way back here. I called my mom, she offered to pay as long as I'd reimburse her, so I called a car shop that she suggested because she and my dad like their work... and they gave me the phone number to a tow truck company they use.

I called about 10am and they said it should arrive in an hour and a half. Well 11:30 came and went. Noon came and went. Finally at 12:30 I called and said hey, where are you guys? I was given a very snotty "accidents come first and you're just gonna have to wait" reply. They said I was next on the list and the guy was on the way but he was clear on the other end of town.

So it's 1:00 and he's STILL not here yet. I was hoping they'd have my car and that it'd be fixed today... but no such luck. Not yet anyway. Will is thinking it's the tie rod. He said that'd be the first thing to get knocked outta whack, and he said the stuff I described sounded like that. He's thinking it should be right around $100+ the cost of towing.

When all is said and done, my girl will come out of this alive. She really truly is a fighter. I just wish the fight was over and she could have won already. She's not even gone yet and I already miss having her! I guess I get to have Will drive me around everywhere. Not that I mind spending the time with him.

Finally, the tow truck is here. So I must be off but I will be back ;)

Katie

0 comments: